Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Psalm 118:19-21

Yesterday, I put a poll out on Facebook asking a few people to post one reason they were thankful. Here are some of the responses:

"Just one? The sun is up, the people I love are safe and healthy, the fall temps are finally here, I made it through my first fall run without "eating it", and on and on and on!"
-Marsha, Texas

"Just ONE?!? I'm thankful for waking up and having a job to go to, for a husband who made my breakfast, and for a support network who means the world to me.... All were provided by God. So, I'm most thankful for Him. :)"
-Lisa, Washington

"I'm thankful to wake up and have another day to see my daughters grow up. Im thankful to hear "Good Morning Mommy" from my Princesses."
-Carralyce, Florida

"I am thankful for my healthy baby boy Issak."
-Ryan, Washington

"Thankful for God's unfailing love and His patience with me. For my family, Andrew, job, Whiskers, church family and wonderful friends! I'm very blessed!"
-Nicolette, Florida

"thankful for the Word of God, which keeps me from slipping daily. thankful for the Lord keeps me rooted in Him; I cannot be shaken!!!!"
-Sarah, California

"I am thankful for my family, friends, animals, creatures, the land, everything God has provided for us. I am thankful the most for God's faithfulness and the opportunity to awaken every single day so far."
-Abby, Florida

Today's encouragement to ponder:

Open for me the gates of the righteous;
    I will enter and give thanks to the Lord.
 This is the gate of the Lord
    through which the righteous may enter.
 I will give you thanks, for you answered me;
    you have become my salvation.

-Psalm 118:19-21 (NIV)

       Abraham was declared righteous by God because of his faith. He believed everything God said and gave thanks each time God blessed him. Doesn't this sound a lot like verses 19-21 in Psalm 118?
      And don't the answers above when asked about thankfulness sound a lot like recognition of what God has blessed and given these people with? Each time we remember our God, and praise him by giving thanks to His works alone, we are able to enter the gate of the righteous.
     Which gate do you desire to enter? A gate that leads to doubt and complacency and despair? Of course not!
      Let's enter the gate of the righteous by keeping our minds fixed on the right things:
    
      "...whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
       -Phillipians 4:8 (ESV)-

Challenge: Come up with your own list today of an example of each one of these things.

"Heavenly Father, we come before you this day thanking you that we all simply woke up! Thank you for this new day. Help us to align our thoughts and fix our thoughts on whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent and worthy of praise. We cannot do this alone. We will only succeed in this by the power of Your Holy Spirit working within us and by Christ transforming and renewing our thoughts. Thank you for reminding us what we are thankful for. Help us to always desire to enter the gate of righteousness and lead us in the way everlasting. In Jesus' name, we pray on behalf for our brothers and sisters around the world, knowing that the power of prayer is rightfully ours, by Jesus's authority within us. Thank you for this marvelous gift and miracle. In Jesus' name, Amen."

4 comments:

  1. Hi Abby, your blog has been listed at www.youngchristianbloggers.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! There's always so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tessa! I saw this really neat idea on Pinterest where each day, you write one thing for which you're thankful. Then, the next year on New Year's Eve, you open the jar with all the things you wrote to remind you of how faithful God is to us and what a great year the next one will be!

      Delete

Cheerful Givers

Blogs I Follow