Thursday, September 27, 2012

Revival of Yom Kippur



Why is this post called "Revival of Yom Kippur?" Because part of Yom Kippur is fasting and fervently praying for 25 hours. Lessons learned in this message today will spur us on in following a very wise tradition. For right now, we are going to start today off right: with some joyful praise.

Pray with me: "Good morning God! Good morning Holy Spirit! Good morning Jesus! Thank you for this new day. Help me to feel your joy within me this morning as I praise you."

Click on this link to listen to Etta James' "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot."  Now that we have a smile on our faces, and a surprising dose of joy given to us, read on.

Revival of God's Holy Spirit within us is vital in today's world, cultures and societies. We are in danger of slipping into laziness, thinking someone else will pray for this or that cause; that someone else will take care of what needs to be done; that someone else's organization will cover that issue. But that is not what being Christian is all about.

What does this mean? This means we are to recognize that we "did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father" (Romans 8:15, NIV). And that, "We are not given a spirit of fear but of love and power and self-control" (2 Timothy 1:7, ESV).

And who is our Abba, our Father? Do you remember the Fierce Grace lesson? That's our Abba - he never stops fighting for us or loving us. He is faithful. He is almighty. He can and will accomplish more things than we can think possible.

So, how do we stop our current ruts and get into God's plan for salvation? The tradition of Yom Kippur is a great place to start and from which to learn.

Just think of the possibilities if all Christians everywhere around the world took even ONE hour to fast and fervently pray for a cause, a person, a leadership council, deliverance of a city, protection over its people, revival of the Holy Spirit? Just like the call to prayer for our brothers and sisters in refugee camps this week, we need to be praying and fasting for revival of God's Holy Spirit in all Christians everywhere.

I wish I could pour out to you how phenomenally important this is. I feel a lot like Paul during this post: knowing in my spirit this extremely Good News to pass on and yet, not being able to convey how supremely vital it is to everyone. I can only hope that just as Jesus said, "He who has ears, let him hear" (Mark 4:9, ESV) and by faith, you will receive Revelation 2:11's reminder: "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God."

Trials, tribulations, mockeries, even death is in our wake. Don't be surprised when you come up against something or multiple somethings that try to knock you down and take you out. Pray that the Holy Spirit will make you aware of any pitfalls, traps or tricks. In Jesus' name, resist them and turn to Jesus only.

Pray with me now: "In Jesus' name, I am given a spirit of power, and of love, and of self-control. I do not submit to fear. I overcome all pitfalls, traps or tricks set before me. My foot will not strike any stone. In Jesus' name I turn to Him for every attempt made against me. I am given eyes to see, ears to hear and discernment to understand. In Jesus' name, I ask the Holy Spirit to intervene for me and protect me. Amen."

And guess what? It doesn't just start internationally or even with a community-based mindset intention. It starts right where you're sitting. It starts with you.

It branches out to our family: wives, husbands, children, aunts, uncles, grandparents; all those whom you come into contact with. Then to the community: neighbors, leadership councils, strangers. Then to our cities and the shaping of our cultures. When we travel - are we living in this truth that we are within the Sonship and that we extend God's love to everyone we come across? Beware of keeping a small-pond mentality.

Start your day with the prayer above. I can personally attest to its power. About two weeks after praying this, I became aware of old arguments or things that would have usually upset me. In that same moment of beginning to feel upset, I would say out loud, "In Jesus' name I reject this trap and pitfall trying to tempt me. I do not give way to temptation. God, you have promised me a way out and Jesus, you are my way out. Holy Spirit, please intervene for me right now." The Presence of God has never been so close to me as it is now. I am enjoying clarity, peace and astounding amounts of love.

Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Don't ever forget that. Allow the Holy Spirit to clean house and help him out by refusing to give way to anything that is against God's will for you. Ask for help in this in Jesus' name. Purity doesn't mean just physically; Purity of speech, purity of thought, purity of motive, purity of actions, purity of heart, etc.

If you can, look at your body in a mirror. As much as your body that you can see, put the roof on top of your head. Put windows at your eyes. Put a gate at your mouth. Put a door over your heart. Imagine your arms and legs as the land around your house. Make your core the dwelling place where everyone gathers.

Even if you attempt to burn a candle for some light within the dwelling place, it can be snuffed out.

What is more powerful than God? Nothing. Make your dwelling place His home. Allow Him to do as He will to transform you in mind, emotions and character.

Here is today's challenge: Pick one day this week to fast for 24 hours and pray fervently for revial of the Holy Spirit within all Christians everywhere.

When you feel out-numbered or overwhelmed, let this encourage you: "Then Elisha prayed and said, “O LORD, please open his eyes that he may see.” So the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha" (2 Kings 6:17, ESV) and "The chariots of God are tens of thousands and thousands of thousands" (Psalm 68:17).

We are never alone. Ever. Reject that little pitfall right now. If you feel alone, remember that it is impossible because you have God's Holy Spirit living within you. If you need to physically feel Jesus' presence, ask. Keep asking.

I pray for all of you who come across or daily read this: "Heavenly Father, I pray in righteousness on behalf of all who read this post. I know that it is not up to me on who receives this message, but in Truth Father, You alone are the giver of such message. God, I pray in intercession for those who need to hear this from you, read and understand this from you. I ask that as whoever is reading this prayer right now that Your Presence begin to blossom within them and around them. My LORD, you have appeared to me as heat and a raging hot feeling within me until I sweat. My hands often become hot and you give me knowledge. I have also been so overcome by your love that refreshing and renewing tears flow steadily and freely from me. Thank you for releasing us today.
     Abba, I come to you boldly but humbly, having confidence in Your work and Your word. You promise to stand ground in front of us, to protect us. I pray in intercession for those who desparately need you to be their shield and refuge right now. I ask Holy Spirit, that you would lead them and teach them how to choose Jesus immediately and ask for you to intervene. I ask that you give each person a verse from your Word to focus on today. LORD, you know our needs before we know our own. Help us to seek your Kingdom first, so that we always put You first and our priorities are straight.
     Recognition of your Holy Spirit helps us to understand that there are few of us left who earnestly and fervently pray for You to overcome. LORD, we have so many people hurting today. We have children in countries who do not eat, who do not have medical care, who have become orphans by circumstances. We have corrupt leaders who do nothing but seek after their own personal gain and have forgotten you. We have countries who put wealth and status above you. Even our own land here, Father, has forgotten its roots. We have children crying out to you, wondering if you really exist. We have widows and elders and the sick and dying among us wondering how much longer they will suffer. Your creatures are facing famine and sickness. Your creation, O God, is suffering by our selfishness and greed. We pray as intercession for these things and ask that you forgive us. Oh LORD! Please use us as your vehicles. It doesn't stop in our homes or our own communities.
    
Father, hear our bold prayer today:
        You only overcome. Use each and every single one of us who are willing to listen and obey what You are calling us to do. Remind us that fear is not apart of who we are, but Your power, Your love and Your self-control. Please Jesus, please help us to help those who are hurting; please use us Holy Spirit to minister to those who need you desperately. Give us the right words to say, the right actions to do so they do not forget who You are. Just like the child in the picture above, let us spread your Good News with joyful hearts and may those we encounter be so filled with your joy that they laugh truly; perhaps for the first time in a long time.
     We will follow paths of righteousness for Your name's sake. In Jesus' name we pray these things unto you, knowing full well You hear us and will answer us in your perfect timing. Amen.
     
     Father, I ask that these things be done according to Your Will, that only divinely appointed relationships will enter each person's life; that each person learns how to align their will with Yours and pray in accordance to it.
      Jesus, thank you for giving me a heart for prayer ministry, for hospitality, for the children and for those who bear grief and pain. May your words be my words, your love my love, and may those who read this post, pass it along to someone else. You are greater in us than he who is in the world, and we ask that you to remind us of that this day. Light us up!
      Jehovah, in your Son's, Jesus, name we pray this day. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheerful Givers

Blogs I Follow