Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Coziest Comfort


"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
-Matthew 11:28 (NIV)-

     Isn't it amazing what a little comfort can do? A warm fire, some warm socks, a hot cup of tea, a favorite book...everyone has a different comfort area. My personal favorites are baking playing worship music or a hot cup of tea on the couch with a big blanket and my Bible. I love to soak in a quiet rainy or wintry afternoon soothing my soul either through soaking in his Word or whipping up a batch of something delicious to share with my family and friends.

    But where is our true comfort found? In Jesus. With all my singing softly "10,000 reasons" or "Amazing Grace" while I am baking and with all my quiet tea time while reading, I still need the absolute Source. The crumbs are satisfying as a tasty treat, but real rejuvenation comes from Jesus alone.

     The best part is that he tells us how to do this. First, come to him.
     If you are uncomfortable or ashamed or simply don't know how to, just sit a minute. Pray, "Lord, I don't really know how to go about coming to you, but here I am. I need you. I open my heart and thoughts and self to you." He's there, even if you can't feel him.

      He also specifically tells us when we are to come to him - when we are weary and burdened. Think about this: when do we become weary? Usually, it's when we've exhausted all of our possibilities and given our very best effort for a long time with no results. When do we become burdened? When we carry things that are not meant for us. If you're at one of these places, I encourage you to admit this to Jesus. Just last week, I was cleaning the bathroom and the simple action of wiping a sink clean made me burst into tears because I thought about how nice it would be to rest in Jesus' arms. And then, I realized, I can! And you can too. We just have to be willing to humble ourselves so he can give us rest.

     Psalm 23 (NKJV) exhibits this beautifully:

     The LORD is my Shepard, I shall not want.
     He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
     He leads me beside the still waters.
      He restores my soul;
     He leads me in the paths of righteousness
     For His name’s sake.
      Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
     I will fear no evil;
    
     For You are with me;    
     Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
      You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;    
     You anoint my head with oil;    
     My cup runs over.
      Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
   
     All the days of my life;   
     And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
     Forever.

    When you take some time today, read this out loud and then again silently in your heart. Remember to find your comfort and rest in Jesus alone. Ask God how you need to trust him more with your rest and where in your life you need to slow down a little. Expect an answer, and He will gladly tell you! Peace be to you this day.
    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheerful Givers

Blogs I Follow