Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Storm Amnesia


"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."
-Romans 8:38-29 (NIV)-

     Storms are scary. Storms in life are worrisome. But I want you to take a look at this picture - do you see the first rainbow? Lit up and strong. While the second is behind it and fades a bit, it is still there - just like God's promises to us.

     What is the lightning in your life right now? Are you in the midst of a storm and there are actions or worries that are striking your ground right now? Are they in the not-so-distant future trying to scare you off? Let the first rainbow remind you of God's promises and the second, his assurance.

Remember 2 Peter 1:4 (NIV):

"And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires."

Let's break this down so we can build each other up.

First, let's remember that Peter is the one who denied knowing Jesus three times. He was rebuked by Jesus to not be in competition with John (Jesus said to Peter, "...what is that to you? You must follow me" John 21:22 (NIV)). However, for all of Peter's doubting, he is the one who walked on water when Jesus called him. So, when Peter reminds us that because of "his glory and excellence," we can take his word for it because he was a guy who sounds very much like us, even today.

What are these great and precious promises? Here are a few:

"It is God that girds me with strength, and makes my way perfect."
-Psalm 18:32

I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
-Psalm 34:4

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
-Jeremiah 29:13

"For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."
-Matthew 7:8

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
-James 1:5

     This list could go on and on! I encourage you to find your own verses that remind you of God's promises of which you need to be reminded. Write them down somewhere that you will see them. Stick them on the fridge, tape it to a mirror, etc. Thank Him right then and there each time you read a promise for enabling you to share in his divine nature. What does this mean? Why is this so important for us?

How is God described? Again, here are a few examples to get you started:

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."
-1 John 4:16

"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him."
-1 John 4:9

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
-1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
-Matthew 11:28

     So, let's get this straight. We have a God who not only is the definition of Love itself, but He will straighten our paths, he is humble in heart, he will give us rest when we are weary, he delivers us from our fears, he strengthens us, and he gives us wisdom among other provisions? And... we're afraid of some lightning bolts because...?

     Because that's apart of the world's corruption. To corrupt or erode means to take promises given to us and turn them against us. To make us think that we're not worthy enough or undeserving. To change our thinking and attitude into cynicism, fear and self-loathing.

     Friends, pray it with me:

     "My God, I thank you and praise you for who you are, for your character which is everlasting and enduring. I thank you that I have been adopted into your family and know your Son. While the world's corruption says that I should give way to fear and allow it to erode my heart, I know better. Sometimes, I am just afraid that maybe some of that isn't true for me. But Your Word says better. I plead the blood of Jesus over myself, my house, my family, and all that I have been given to be a steward over. I thank you that I can rebuke this corruption by relying on You alone. Forgive me for allowing those lightning bolts to shake me. While I am human, I share in your divine nature and corruption is not among it. I seek you with all of my heart. In Jesus' name. Amen."

     Love never fails.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheerful Givers

Blogs I Follow