Thursday, August 30, 2012

Righteous, Beautiful, Joyful, Praising Newness by You


"...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy  instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."
-Isaiah 61:3 (NIV)-
Let's draw a comparison. Put on your creative cap and pull out your imagination notepad. Split a page down the middle. What does beauty, joy and praise look like to you? Think about it. When I think about beauty, I think about a certain radiance shining from someone, glowing from the light of God's Holy Spirit. When I think of joy, I think of laugher, a big smile, that magnetic presence in someone and not being shaken by small things. When I think of praise, I think of hands lifted high and praise streaming forth from the core of us. I think of praise bringing joy and showing through beauty. It does not come from the world, this joyful praise and beauty. It comes from the LORD alone.

Now, on the right side of our notepad, let's draw the opposite of this: ashes, mourning and despair. What does that look like to you? Can you think of someone that you've seen going through that? Have you seen it in the hopeless? The lost? The broken? When I think of someone in mourning, I think of taunt lines in their faces and a grief one can only know through loss. With despair, I think of someone who truly believes there is no way out; no solution, no promise, no hope. What a sad, sad picture and reality for most people. And when ashes comes to mind, I think of someone who allowed the world to grind them down to nothing instead of allowing God to build them up to something.

Listen to this song: Gungor's "Beautiful Things"

The lyrics are astounding:

All this pain
I wonder if I'll ever find my way?
I wonder if my life could really change at all?
All this earth Could all that is lost ever be found?
Could a garden come up from this ground at all?

How many of us go through this? Take hope and remember, "He only is my Rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be moved." (Psalm 62:6, KJV).

Through your pain, God will show you the way.

Yes, your life can and will change if you surrender to God and allow Jesus to work some amazing healing within you. Don't be afraid. The pain you go through is so incredibly worth it. Think about the notepad. Do you really want to remain in ashes, in despair and in mourning? Of course not. There is something better for you and God is waiting for you. Don't delay. Start this moment!

Yes, a garden can come up from your "ground." And you know what, it's going to be gorgeous and radiant and full of new hopes and desires you didn't know existed within you.

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust (instead of ashes!)
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us (giving us a crown of beauty)

All around Hope is springing up from this old ground
Out of chaos life is being found in You

You are making me new. (We will be oaks of righteousness, displaying the LORD's splendor forever.)

Friends, if I can encourage you in any way today, it's to take that leap. Surrender to God, admit your absolute dependence on Him and ask Him to deliver you from whatever pain or suffering you're going through or have gone through. Jesus is so gentle and so loving, and He will be with you each step of the way.
Heavenly Father, I am so excited to pray over all those you read this post. I come to you humbly but joyfully, knowing what it's like to come out of the ashes and to be given these great gifts by you. We praise you and thank you from our core, from the very place You reside for calling us to something better, something brighter - a new hope that can only be found by knowing You. Jesus, thank you for being our absolute best friend, healer, teacher and guide. Thank you for sacrificing for us so that we may know Your love for us. In your name we pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheerful Givers

Blogs I Follow