Saturday, August 25, 2012

Crooked for a Cause

 
"Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?"
-Ecclesiastes 7:13 (KJV)-
 
 
     Okay, the perfectionist in me is becoming unnerved looking at this yarn - completely tangled, everywhere, appearing totally desheveled. Have you ever felt like that? Where when things are out of order in life, you actually take comfort in organizing real, attainable things? I know I used to struggle from this greatly. But I learned that letting go of those perfectionist tendancies allowed me to see an even greater beauty: God's work.
 
     When we listen to other's journeys throughout their life, isn't it amazing what some of their lessons reveal? Even when we hear them, or witness them, we are learning from their seemingly chaotic times or "crooked" way of doing things. What an incredible gift!
 
     It's good to accept that God's way of doing things or leading us is usually totally radical and "upside-down" to our logic and rationality. But Jesus doesn't call us to a life of ordinary. In fact, when we open up our minds, hearts and will to Jesus, the complete opposite happens: adventure. If you're tired of the ordinary, I encourage you to seek Him out. Adventures in life with Jesus means two things: acting on faith and following in surrender. Often, HIs ways make absolutely no sense to us but we have to say, "I asked for an adventure with you and I have no idea how this will possibly work out, but I'm going to act on my faith and surrender to your way of doing things." Watch out! Your life is about to be turned upside down in such an amazing way.
 
     Remember, that person who seems totally "crooked" is actually a work-in-process with God. If you wonder how you find the start of the string - don't. Let the string be string. If it is messy and bundled, let it be that way. If it is turned inside out with lots of knots, let it be knotted. There's a reason for those knots, and probably a story. Whether you find out or not, doesn't matter. What matters is the appreciation that this person, or event, or circumstance is this way for a reason and is a work-in-process. Only God can be at work with that person, that event or that circumstance.
 
     So what can you do? Especially if you find it difficult to let the string be string? Pray. Surrender your thoughts toward this crookedness to God. Tell Jesus, help me understand how I am crooked. How have you made me? Where would you have me go, and what would you have me do? What should my focus be?
 
     Just like a dancer who learns how to continue spinning in circles because they have found a "spot" or place on the wall to focus, ask God for that same thing. Make God your ultimate focus, and ask Him for a "spot." I can guarantee you that it will not be that person, event or cirumstance. In fact, He might even surprise you with where He would have you place your attention. And remember, when you are tempted to straighten out what God has purposely made crooked, ask yourself, "Am I allowing the string to be string?"
 
      Heavenly Father, we thank You for Your Word which is life-giving and precious. Thank you that this verse especially teaches us to let go of perfect and accept Your ways of doing things. Thank you that each of us are crooked and tangled in our own ways and this is good, because You are at work within us. Thank you that we can ask you what our attention should be focused upon so that we might serve you and the Body of Christ better. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheerful Givers

Blogs I Follow